Math 110. Linear Algebra
Department of Mathematics
University of California, Berkeley
This is an introductory course on linear algebra. We will study linear
algebra from both an abstract point-of-view with vector spaces and linear
transformations playing the central roles and also a more concrete
approach emphasizing matrices and vectors in Rn.
We will discuss some applications of linear algebra.
The official prerequisite for taking this course is Math
54: Linear algebra and differential equations.
- 05/16/08: Final exam will take place in 3108 Etcheverry
Hall, 12:30–3:30, Thu, May 22.
- 05/16/08: Special office hours: 1–4, Wed, May 21.
- 05/07/08: Homework solutions brought up to date.
- 05/03/08: Revision lecture in Evans 75, 3:30–5, Tue, May
- 05/03/08: Homework 9 posted. Due
on Tue, May 13 (ie. during the revision lecture).
- 04/25/08: Homework 8 posted. Due
in class on Thu, May 01.
- 04/22/08: Office hours on Thu, Apr 24, moved to 2–3:30.
- 04/18/08: Homework 7 posted. Due
in class on Thu, Apr 24.
- 04/11/08: Homework 6 posted. Due
in class on Thu, Apr 17.
- 04/04/08: Homework 5 posted. Due
in class on Thu, Apr 10.
- 03/15/08: Office hours next week: 12–2, Mon, Mar 17; 2–3,
Tue, Mar 18.
- 03/15/08: Solutions to Homework 4
- 03/12/08: Midterm will take place in 180 Tan Hall,
3:30–5, Tue, Mar 18.
- 03/12/08: Solutions to Homework 3
- 03/12/08: Solutions to Homework 2
- 03/10/08: Solutions to Homework 1
- 03/06/08: Homework 4 posted. Due
in class on Thu, Mar 13.
- 02/28/08: Homework 3 posted. Due
in class on Thu, Mar 06.
- 02/14/08: Homework 2 posted. Due
in class on Thu, Feb 21.
- 02/07/08: Homework 1 posted. Due
in class on Thu, Feb 14.
- 01/29/08: Handout 1 posted.
- 01/24/08: Office hours will formally begin next Thursday.
- 01/22/08: Check this page regularly for announcements.
Location: Evans Hall,
Times: 3:30–5:00 PM on Tue/Thu
Evans Hall, Room 873
Office hours Tuesday, 2:00–3:30 PM; Thursday, 1:00–2:30 PM.
Graduate Student Instructor: Charlie Smart
Evans Hall, Room 891
Office hours 11:00 AM–4:00 PM every Wednesday and Thursday.
- Vector spaces
- Linear transformations
- Inner products
- QR factorization
- Linear functionals
- Quadratic forms and Rayleigh's principle
- Jordan canonical form
- Additional topics
Homework will be assigned once a week and will be due the following
week (except possibly in the weeks when there is a midterm).
Collaborations are permitted but you will need to write up your own
- Problem Set 9: PDF (posted: May 03;
due: May 13); Solutions: PDF
(posted: May 16)
- Problem Set 8: PDF (posted: Apr 25;
due: May 01); Solutions: PDF
(posted: May 07)
- Problem Set 7: PDF (posted: Apr 18;
due: Apr 24); Solutions: PDF
(posted: May 07)
- Problem Set 6: PDF (posted: Apr 11;
due: Apr 17); Solutions: PDF
(posted: May 05)
- Problem Set 5: PDF (posted: Apr 04;
due: Apr 10); Solutions: PDF
(posted: May 03)
- Problem Set 4: PDF (posted: Mar 06;
due: Mar 13); Solutions: PDF
(posted: Mar 15)
- Problem Set 3: PDF (posted: Feb 28;
due: Mar 06); Solutions: PDF
(posted: Mar 12)
- Problem Set 2: PDF (posted: Feb 14;
due: Feb 21); Solutions: PDF
(posted: Mar 12)
- Problem Set 1: PDF (posted: Feb 07;
due: Feb 14); Solutions: PDF (posted:
Bug report on the problem sets or the solutions:
Handouts and supplementary readings
Grade composition: 40% Homework, 20% Midterm, 40% Final
Only the first book is required. The rest are optional supplementary
references that you might like to check out from the library.
- Stephen Friedberg, Arnold Inse, and Lawrence Spence, Linear
Algebra, 4th Ed., Pearson Education, 2003.
- Gilbert Strang, Linear Algebra and its Applications, 4th Ed.,
Thomson Learning, 2006.
- Lars Eldén, Matrix Methods in Data Mining and Pattern
Recognition, SIAM, 2006. Link
- Per Christian Hansen, Jim Nagy, and Dianne O'Leary, Deblurring
Images: Matrices, Spectra, and Filtering, SIAM, 2006. Link