Math 110. Linear Algebra
Department of Mathematics
University of California, Berkeley
This is an introductory course on linear algebra. We will study linear
algebra from both an abstract point-of-view with vector spaces and linear
transformations playing the central roles and also a more concrete
approach emphasizing matrices and vectors in Rn.
We will discuss some applications of linear algebra.
The official prerequisite for taking this course is Math
54: Linear algebra and differential equations.
- 12/11/07: Final exam will take place in 141 McCone Hall,
12:30–3:30, Thu, Dec 13.
- 12/11/07: Extra office hours 12–2 on Wed, Dec 12.
- 12/10/07: Solutions to Homeworks 10 posted.
- 12/09/07: Solutions to Homeworks 9 posted.
- 12/05/07: Extra office hours 12–2 on Fri, Dec 07.
- 12/05/07: GSI's review session 12–5 on Sun, Dec 09 in
- 12/04/07: Homework 10 posted. Due in
class on Mon, Dec 10.
- 12/02/07: Solutions to Homeworks 8 posted.
- 11/27/07: Homework 9 posted. Due in
class on Mon, Dec 3.
- 11/17/07: GSI will not hold office hours this week, so I will have
extended office hours 12–4 on Mon, Nov 19.
- 11/15/07: Homework 8 posted. Due in
class on Wed, Nov 21.
- 11/05/07: Extra office hours 12–1 on Tue, Nov 06.
- 11/04/07: Solutions to Homeworks 6 and 7 posted.
- 10/29/07: GSI's new office hours: Wed and Thu, 12–5
(with the exception of 4–6 on Nov 14 and 10–6 on Nov 15).
- 10/28/07: Solutions to Homeworks 5 posted.
- 10/27/07: Homework 7 posted. Due in
class on Fri, Nov 2.
- 10/24/07: Midterm II will take place in 126 Barrows Hall,
11–12, Wed, Nov 07.
- 10/20/07: Homework 6 posted. Due in
class on Fri, Oct 26.
- 10/18/07: Solutions to Homeworks 3
and 4 posted.
- 10/13/07: Homework 5 posted. Due in
class on Fri, Oct 19.
- 10/07/07: Homework 4 posted. Due in
class on Fri, Oct 12.
- 09/29/07: Homework 3 posted. Due in
class on Fri, Oct 5.
- 09/24/07: This Wed's office hours brought forward to
11–1, Tue, Sep 25. Office hours will go back to normal after
- 09/23/07: Solutions to Homeworks 1
and 2 posted.
- 09/23/07: Here's a handout that may be
useful for the midterm.
- 09/19/07: Midterm I will take place in 155 Donner Lab,
11–12, Wed, Sep 26.
- 09/17/07: The GSI's office hours this week have been changed to Wed
10–6 and Thu 11–1.
- 09/15/07: Homework 2 posted. Due in
class on Fri, Sep 21.
- 09/07/07: Homework 1 posted. Due in
class on Fri, Sep 14.
- 08/30/07: This class is currently oversubscribed. Prof. Benoit Dherin
will teach the same class at the same time (11–12, MWF) in
Etcheverry 3107. Please attend his lectures instead if you are still on
the waiting list for my class.
- 08/27/07: Check this page regularly for announcements.
Location: Evans Hall,
Times: 11:00 AM–12:00 PM on Mon/Wed/Fri
Evans Hall, Room 873
Office hours 12:00–2:00 PM every Monday and
2:00–4:00 PM every Wednesday
Graduate Student Instructor: Janak Ramakrishnan
Evans Hall, Room 1043
Office hours 12:00–5:00 PM every Wednesday and Thursday
- Vector spaces
- Linear transformations
- Inner products
- QR factorization
- Linear functionals
- Quadratic forms and Rayleigh's principle
- Jordan canonical form
- Additional topics
Homework will be assigned once a week and will be due the following
week (except possibly in the weeks when there is a midterm).
Collaborations are permitted but you will need to write up your own
- Problem Set 10: PDF (posted: Dec 4;
due: Dec 10); Solutions: PDF
(posted: Dec 10)
- Problem Set 9: PDF (posted: Nov 27;
due: Dec 3); Solutions: PDF
(posted: Dec 09)
- Problem Set 8: PDF (posted: Nov 15;
due: Nov 21); Solutions: PDF
(posted: Dec 02)
- Problem Set 7: PDF (posted: Oct 27;
due: Nov 02); Solutions: PDF
(posted: Nov 04)
- Problem Set 6: PDF (posted: Oct 20;
due: Oct 26); Solutions: PDF
(posted: Nov 04)
- Problem Set 5: PDF (posted: Oct 13;
due: Oct 19); Solutions: PDF
(posted: Oct 28)
- Problem Set 4: PDF (posted: Oct 07;
due: Oct 12); Solutions: PDF
(posted: Oct 18)
- Problem Set 3: PDF (posted: Sep 29;
due: Oct 05); Solutions: PDF
(posted: Oct 18)
- Problem Set 2: PDF (posted: Sep 15;
due: Sep 21); Solutions: PDF
(posted: Sep 23)
- Problem Set 1: PDF (posted: Sep 07;
due: Sep 14); Solutions: PDF
(posted: Sep 23)
Bug report on the problem sets or the solutions:
Handouts and supplementary readings
- Handout 1: List of field and vector space axioms PDF (posted: Sep 23)
Midterm II grade distribution: median = 30,
mean = 30, max = 40, min = 12, stdev = 7.7, max possible marks = 40.
Midterm I grade distribution: median = 35,
mean = 36, max = 50, min = 21, stdev = 6.6, max possible marks = 50.
Grade composition: 40% Homework, 15% Midterm I, 15%
Midterm II, 30% Final
The second book is optional. It is an elementary version of the
first, going more slowly and providing somewhat more details and
- Gilbert Strang, Linear Algebra and its Applications, 4th
Ed., Thomson Learning, 2006.
- Gilbert Strang, Introduction to Linear Algebra, 3rd Ed.,
Next semester's class will see even more cool applications. The
following books will be used in Spring 2008.
- Lars Eldén, Matrix Methods in Data Mining and Pattern
Recognition, SIAM, 2006. Link
- P.C. Hansen, J.G. Nagy, and D.P. O'Leary, Deblurring Images:
Matrices, Spectra, and Filtering, SIAM, 2006. Link